Nuclear Stress Test instructions
These are the general stress test instructions. If you have any questions please call the physician’s office.
FOOD AND DRINK
NOTHING TO EAT OR DRINK for at least 6 hours prior to testing. This does include water. If your test is scheduled in the afternoon, eat a light meal 6 hours prior to testing. Please do not fast all day for this test
MEDICATIONS AND BLOOD THINNERS
Please do not stop your blood thinners. Take all of your regularly scheduled medications as prescribed except the medicines listed below.
Do not take these medications 48 hours prior to study
- Theophylline medications (Theo 24, Theochron, Elixophyllin, Uniphyl, etc)
- Medications which treat asthma, emphysema, COPD, or other lung problems
- Sexual enhancement medications should not be used 48 hours prior to the test (Viagram, sildenafil, Levitram Cialis, etc)
Do not take 24 hours prior to study
- Heart nitrates (Imdur, Isordil, Isosorbides, Mono, Dini, Ismo, Nitro)
- Nitroglycerin (tablets, pills, or patches)
- Beta Blockers (example: metoprolol, atenolol, sotalol, etc)
- Calcium Channel Blockers (example: diltiazem, Cartia XL, Verapamil, etc)
- Persantine (brand name) Dypridamole (generic)
- Caffeine medicines (example: Excedrin, Fioricet, Fiorinal, Midol, Motrin, etc)
- Diuretics (example: Lasix, furosemide, Bumex, spironolactone, etc)
INSTRUCTIONS FOR DIABETIC PATIENTS
Please follow the normal regimen as stated above but eat light. You may have juice before the test if needed.
SMOKING AND EXERCISE
No smoking or exercise 6 hours before testing.
NO CAFFEINE 24 hours prior to testing. This included sodas, diet sodas, chocolate, tea, coffee, and energy drinks.
PREPARATION AND CLOTHING
Please shower or bathe the day of the test
Do not apply lotion, powder, oil to the chest area, arms, or hands
Wear loose comfortable clothing (short sleeved/t-shirt and pants/shorts). No dresses or one-piece outfits
Avoid clothing with metallic buttons or zippers, bras with an underwire, or metallic jewelry.
A gown will be given to you so you may be appropriately covered if necessary
Please arrive 15 minutes before your procedure time. Please call the office if you are unsure of your test location.
WHAT TO BRING
Please bring your photo ID and insurance card with you to your test.
A current medication list, and medications to take throughout the day if needed
If you use an inhaler regularly, please bring this as well.
It is recommended that you bring a lunch and a soda, there is a point during the test where you will be instructed to eat and drink caffeine.
GENERAL LENGTH OF TEST
Remember that your scheduled test time is an approximate time. Stress test will take on average 3 hours. For a PET stress test, it will approximately take 30-45 minutes. If you are unsure which one you are scheduled for, please call the office.
You will be able to drive yourself to and from the test